View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #64
JLHurley
Warrior

I can't believe I have yet to answer this question...

I watched BG faithfully week after week when it first aired in '78-'79 but it wasn't until the summer of '79, after its cancelation announcement, that I started really enjoying and eventually loving it. Fearing that I would never see it again, I started to tape record the repeats; didn't think of doing such a thing until after "Living Legend" but I managed to get "Gun," "Young Lords, "Man w/ 9 Lives," and "War of the Gods" on tape, eventually even mail ordering other eps on tape cassettes. Heck, when BG hit the theater that same summer, I even smuggled in two tape recorders to get it on tape in its entirety, too! Every day after school, I listened to those same cassettes on my home stereo and eventually in my car. (It's been over 25 years and to this day I still listen to BG on the road, although I now have CD recordings of them all.)

The music definitely drew me into the series from the get-go, but I think it was its basic story of survival that really grabbed me--that and the "look" and "feel" to the series. In a way, BG reminds me of a favorite movie of mine, "The Ten Commandments": both involved an exodus, both had "bigger than life" characters, and both had incredible costumes.