View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #19
Boomer65
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
You may need to suspend some belief but it can put your mind at peace. Therefor the mini need not replace TOS. It simply says... What if?
I think I see what you’re saying here but…suppose we pursue a What If where Kennedy was not assassinated and we didn’t go to Vietnam. That scenario can stand on its own but can’t be tied to our Kennedy was assassinated universe. That’s what I’m talking about here – BSG03 can’t be made to fit into the TOS timeline without a huge stretch.

Quote:
In addition using the Star Trek analogy again, in Star Trek TOS the Klingons were obviously a different human race where in TNG the are a separate species.
Huh? I don’t think this is correct – they were supposed to be a different species in ST-TOS too weren’t they? Just like Vulcans and those other pointy eared people.

Quote:
Also I could point out some major continuity error between Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG, the Star Trek TOS movie "Undiscovered Country" and the Star Trek TNG movie "First Contact" but they would all make the point that you can fit a general concept into a general world if you don't get hung up on the details.
Oh I’m sure there were plenty of continuity errors however, I’m sure that they were relatively minor. The movies “generally” fit well into their respective series timelines AND they had the bonus of using the same cast members. BSG TOS and BSG03 don’t fit well at all. You’d have to come up with a far-fetched scenario that BST generated. You basically have a series that is “based on” TOS rather than a series that is “part of” TOS universe.

I think my "based on TOS universe" is what you're calling "alternate universe."
Boomer65 is offline   Reply With Quote