View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Asking me to pick one favorite would be an impossible task. Instead I'm going to make my answer what I was going to do in a separate thread which is list the favorite Christmas CDs I always play at this time of year by artists.

#1. John Rutter/Cambridge Singers. John Rutter has written some of the most beautifully moving choral Christmas songs of the last half century that as performed by the Cambridge Singers always sends a chill through me. "Star Carol" and "Jesus Child" in particular. The CD "Christmas Day In The Morning" features these original compositions and some lesser known choral Christmas works while "Carols For The Chrismas Season" features more traditional carols.

#2. Julie Andrews. She has the most angelic singing voice when it comes to Christmas music. She's done three Christmas albums that always get extensive play from me. Sadly, since her singing voice was ruined a few years ago by a botched operation, we'll never hear her sing that good again.

#3. Canadian Brass. The premiere brass group in the world has done several Christmas CDs, some more serious in tone (such as their pairing with the St. Patrick's Cathedral) and others that are more lighthearted in vein (like "A Canadian Brass Christmas" with whimsical versions of popular fare like "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty The Snowman")

#4. Charlie Brown Christmas. The greatest animated Christmas special ever spawned an equally magnificent soundtrack spotlighting the magnificent Vince Guaraldi.

#5. John Williams/Boston Pops Christmas CD.

Christmas is the time when there are so many rich opportunities to hear the sound of the holiday and its meaning expressed in music. I never tire of it.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote