View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Are you assuming that the TV signal from earth DIDN'T go through a wormhole or some other space anomaly to reach the fleet?
Information passing through a wormhole must be directional and it would still be speed of light and modulated. You should see the wormhole, itself, either as a modulated rotating ovoid; or as a distant winking light, timed to the frequency of the radio beam outputted. Topologically speaking, we did not see a wormhole effect within the local observer event horizon of the RT fleet, just normal spacetime revealed to the observer interval limit. Presumption I make due to the lack of the event required for a wormhole transitting radio beam? Radio waves passing through normal space is what I see.

Quote:
Because the origin of that signal would have been the 1960's and (NOT ignoring Gal 80) the Galactica shows up at Earth in 1980. But Adama says something about "these many years we've endured the wilderness of space" and I think it was stated that they had been traveling for at least 20 years. Which doesn't add up in any case. If you do ignore Gal 80, then there's no telling how long the transmission in HOG had been traveling or what might have happened to that transmission on it's travels.
20 years in the wildness of space could mean anything; layovers for fuel, volatiles, and biomass replenishment, a long slog of STL coasting to get out of Cylon FTL event detection range, Passing through a flatspace desert, who knows? The wormhole inflation math says a minimum of 76 inflation events to cross 500 LYs. If it takes four months per inflation event it might take twenty years? Once again, who knows? I can only compute maximals and minimals limits. I have no mean data range here to establish the time passage between inflation events. I just have the weekly episodic TV interval limits, as that was the nature of episodic television.

Quote:
There's also the problem that the yahren MAY NOT be exactly equal to one Earth year. But that's a whole different can of megadriles.
Jahrens is a term that is virtually useless in my computations and to me not totally relevant to the problem speculation. My measure estimates are based on the standard Gregorian Calanderic interval light second as the measure of my base interval.

Now you must understand that the term interval, here, not only refers to the perceived DISTANCE, but also the perceived DURATION of the event. So when I use the measurement of light seconds; I mean units of spacetime- not just units of distance like 2.97x10e5 kilometers.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a convoluted logic by which the differential between earth time and Colonial time could be reached, but I think that, if you ignore the events of Gal 80, one does not have enough information to determine the comparison basis.
You can always try to calculate the physical interval, and you can always set the range limits of the interval when you try.

Quote:
Not that it isn't fun to try, though.
As I just did.
Quote:
-G
Best of the New Year, Gordon;

-F
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote