View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #158
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Because of matters surrounding a certain other series, I've been revisting more the nature of the conflict this episode gives us between Adama and Cain, and it amazes me how on a fundamental level this story holds up so well all these years later.

A lot has been made of Cain as a MacArthur or Patton in space, but it occurs to me more and more that Adama in this episode is reminiscent of another WWII general, in this case Eisenhower. Eisenhower was always the commander who had to be concerned with political niceties and the bigger picture of things that an impulsive commander like Patton could often lose sight of. And Eisenhower had to relieve Patton once as well, despite the latter's brilliant successes because Eisenhower had to play politician as much as he had to play general.

Yet even amidst that, the respect and belief in the common good both generals represented, overruled everything else in their conflicts over approaching matters. And that ultimately is why LL works in terms of seeing this character conflict even as both men at heart still manage to think quite highly of each other.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote