View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default "Macross - Do You Remember Love?" Review

Thanks to our Tommy, I bought a copy of Macross - Do You Remember Love? on DVD. I had never seen it before except as an english dubbed and horribly edited film called "Clash of the Bionoids" (avoid it!).

This was a wonderful film! I loved the detail that went into the artwork - it was quite stunning for 1984 anime. The story was interesting as the film managed to weave together a number of subplots from the Macross Saga series and combine them into one film - an excellent job too, as they kept the story coherent!

The most noticable changes were some of the uniforms and a more modern and sophisticated version of Macross City. The film had a brief bit of nudity in it and the death scenes were sometimes a bit graphic, but not too gory (I've seen a lot worse in anime!). The sound EFX were all familiar as were most of the character's faces - the Zentraedi characters were a bit more "alien" looking than their counterparts in the TV series.

The biggest bonus for me was that there was finally an understandable explanation of what "Protoculture" really is! That has befuddled me for a decade or two! The Robotech series led the viewer to believe that protoculture was an energy source, but all of the Macross films, old and new had references to the people, not an energy source....

Thanks again Tom for the recommendation! I'm waiting for "Flashback 2015" to come next....!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote