View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #14
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: How did Classic BSG end in your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
I like that idea. I also like the current time period idea as written in "Dark Exodus".

As for Richard Hatch's books, They seemed very non-cannon to me at the time when I read them (over 10 years ago). He put a lot of emphasis into the idea that Adama was directly descended from a "Pure Kobolian" bloodline and were therefore superior to most colonists. He also had ideas that the centurions had organic brains in their heads. I always felt they were 100% machine.

IIRC Apollo was automatically placed in command after Adama's death. This is more like a monarchy or some other similar system. but in the show it really looks more like a democratic republic. Although we do see "Sire" and "Siress" titles used for prominent people (not just politicians).

Overall they are worth reading. I did kinda like the idea that there was a ship in the fleet where crime was allowed flourish with an undergroud and black market. The idea was obviously inspired one episode of GINO. I also liked the way a particular Borellian Nomen was portrayed.
In the Glen Larson book for the saga. Adama´s Father was in command before him. as far as I remember.

IN MY IMAGINATION.. (I am just stressing this generally)
when I tried to write my own fanfiction (uck) I also went down that route (before I read any of R Hatch books). and I will confess that the idea of great family's duty bound to create the great fleets and to lead if called for applied to me.

like Feudalism both political and military are represented through Adama from a high house, and perhaps Apollo after him. but not without him going through the proper ranks on the bridge and only with the ability to command.

Tigh while a
good or great officer never inspired me as a great commander of men. almost like Spock and Kirk in a way.. Kirk is a great commander and Spock would be at his side. but Spock would never inspire leadership as Kirk would. (who would you follow quicker,, I know I would follow Kirk quicker)

Baltar could also have been from a great house, but he went down a different path. Merchant (I think that what he was in the saga book ) and Political route greater wealth is made that way. which lead to he downfall

Cain on the other hand was not... he was born of common (if you will pardon the term) stock. he gain command due to skill and inspiration to his men. a Caesar like character moving his way up the rank through skill and cunning.

we know a little more about Starbuck... he would eventually become a Cain like commander had the chance arrived.

Boomer also a commander but perhaps in over all tactics .

duty is for the Adama´s the motivating force and to serve there colony the invested great wealth into the fleets around Caprica and back in the family history the Galactica was first constructed,

I am not talking from there own personal wealth (perhaps part) but the taxes that the great houses impose to keep the fleets and the colonies running.

but that is how I would do it myself.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote