View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #15
JeffVarnes
Bad Email Address

Default Michael Faries how can I help?

Hello,

I just stumbled across here... well quite a few Battlestar Galactica sites actually

I got re-interested in BG when Sci-Fi just recently ran the old series for a few days. It was great stuff and brought back a lot of fond memories. I'm a 30-something guy so I was about 10 when I watched this show love on TV (along with The Bionic Man, Underdog, Greatest American Hero and a slew of other late 70's early 80's shows

I was raised on a corn-fed diet of Micronauts, Showgun Warriors, and Godzilla so Battlestar Galactica was my boyhood cup of tea... my Spider man tossed yarn nets over bad guys and my Batman walked sideways on an apartment building where Don Knotts or some other star would stick his head out the window and say hey

Anyway I'm not a "fan-atic" or whatever... I've never been to a convention... I don't own any Galactica merchandise rights now ... I did have some toys when I was a kid, some comics when I was a teen, and a "war game" by Fasa as early as 10 years ago. I *might* have an old taping of Starbuck Returns in one of my boxes of delapedated VHS tapes lol!

Basically I'm your middle aged, average American guy with a wife and 2 kids that occasionally surfs through Sci-Fi channel to see what fun stuff there is to watch.

From everything I've read I don't like the sounds of this Battlestar "remake" thing at all... call me old fashioned by why remake something??? They never "remade" Star Wars, Star Trek, or ET... I just don't get it. Anyway if they were going to remake it then why all of this sillyness - gratuitous sex, "human" looking cylons, and changing characters around? This doesn't sound like a show I want my kids watching... and it surely doesn't interest me either. It just sounds liek a cheap rip off of other movies and shows.

There's a lot of sci-fi shows now that are just too... adult. I seen shows like Lexx and Farscape and I don't care for them... too much sex and torture type stuff (sorry if you like those shows). Whatever happened to just good clean fun? Kids and Families loved Star Wars because it was accessable to everyone. I liked the family programming that sci-fi used to focus on like Sliders, Qauantam Leap, etc. Now everything has to be "dark and dreary" and "gritty and realistic" *sigh*

Anyway I think that maybe a lot of people feel like I do, but they don't know enough about what is going on to be able to voice an opinion. I'm slightly "internet savy" so I was able to find sites like this one and Richard Hatch's site and so forth. I was able to read some of that early draft script and I thought it stunk... I'll bet a lot of other people would too.

So how can somebody like me help you all (when apparently sci-fi thinks your a bunch of loonies! lol

I feel like I'm a pretty typical viewer of thier station and they never asked me my opinion that is for sure!?! PS - hey studio executives if you see this give me an email or call. I'll be happy to fill out one of your surveys!

Jeff Varnes
jvarnes@tampabay.rr.com
Living it up in Sunny Central Florida
JeffVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote