View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Mike Wright

Default A *small* fan base?

Someone else on this forum said "Apparently the Miniseries is garnering a small fan base, and they are attacking the fans of the old series."

First of all... I don't know how you can call it small, unless you aren't looking at all. I've talked with guys on SFM, 3DG, Galactica2003.net, most of everyone in SFI Region 5, and well, everyone I know that I either work with or just hang with. Everyone who's seen it loves it. And not one of them had anything bad to say about fans of the original, or about the original itself. I've seen like one person who said "Wow, its better than the original!" It isn't better than the original. That's just their opinions. We all have them. I don't think its fair to attack each other over it. And, as I've seen some people comment on this board, the vast majority of you here don't mean to and don't. Which is cool. I've seen one guy who looks like he's mounting a campaign to contact advertisers and complain about the mini. Which is a bunch of BS. People have a right to their opinions, but damn, don't ruin it for the rest of us. The people I've talked to about this, we all agree... We LIKED the original. It was great. We'd love to see a continuation of it, and don't doubt that it will come about. Look at the Brady Bunch, and the Adams Family. Both successfully pulled off both continuations AND reimaginings and did very well. My father is a huge Galactica fan, it was one of the few things we ever did together. But you know what, this new one is kinda cool too. I don't want to see it replace the original, no one does. And I don't think that was the intention.

If there is ANYTHING I'd like to see it replace, its Star Trek. Give us Trek fans a break, something else to watch while Paramount rethinks the stupid mistakes its made, ousts Brannon Braga and can put something back on the air that won't suck.

I mean seriously. We'll watch a continuation, and we'll like it, and we'll support it just as much as you hardcore original fans do. But please. Don't take away the one thing thats gonna clear the stink of Trek. Chances are if everyone keeps bashing each other over this, not only are we not going to see a Ron Moore Galactica series, we'll have no chance of a continuation. Thats a very real possibility guys. There are a hell of a lot of Trek fans here in Spokane Washington, and we used to have conventions... Until a small number of clubs started attacking each other because they disagreed about a variable number of things, and eventually Spokane was blacklisted. Now we have no conventions here, and none of them will ever consider coming back.

Now I didn't come here to attack the users of this board, I see the vast majority of you guys are sane individuals, in fact many of you I've known for years from the other forums. I'm just trying to make a plea for something that I happen to really like. I've been writing the Scifi Channel ever since this thing aired (And BTW, I was there with most people when they announced it, I hated the idea... But unlike some people, I gave it a chance when I saw the previews) and have heard nothing back from them. I've seen rumors on Galactica2003.net that the series is being greenlighted and they have to announce it before the end of the year or the actors options will expire. That rumor makes sense to me. Then I see a rumor here that it won't pick up because it will be just too expensive to make. That makes some sense, but then I also disagree with it. With todays technology, production like that costs a whole lot less. The sets did not look THAT expensive. They actually reminded me of the original Star Trek series, they looked so cheap. And CG is a whole lot less expensive than the model compositing they did in the original series. So I don't think cost is such an element.

And to tell you the truth, I seem to recall for years the stigma Star Trek fans held as being extremists and trolls and what not. Yet we can't seem to get rid of that show. As Ron Moore said in the beginning, people are gonna watch this thing whether they like it or not. And the ratings proved that. The first two airings were impressive, being the third highest in the channels history. But some of you guys don't know about the third airing on Sunday, which took in a 6.8 or something, which was by far the highest in the channels history. Word of mouth baby. People saw it, liked it, recomended it to friends.

Don't be too hard on the mini. It is bringing in new fans of the series, that are going to look back at the old and say "Hey, that was impressive for a TV show from the 70s." Then you'll have even more support for the continuation. My hand is still raised in support of that one. (Well except for the whole thing where the Vipers land and turn into Mechs... I'm sorry, but that just sounds stupid) And many more will too when the new series airs. I say bring it all on. Great series, both of them. Lets see it all. And get rid of Enterprise. I love Bakula, but please. They couldn't write an exciting plotline if it flew up and hit them in the face.

So please, PLEASE, PLEASE... Give us a chance. Give us a series that we can enjoy in place of these other crappy TV shows. And we'll help you with the continuation. We won't say nay. We say bring it. Bring it all.