View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #19
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Cut away Viper and CF Project idea

I am impressed with your thinking on it...

I still believe that 2,690 crew is undermanned.

I also think that 60 security on a ship as big as a Battlestar is to small it is a war ship and I think would have a substantial warrior contingent what would handle this area.

I don´t like the technological advancement is reason to assume it will sort out all the areas running a battlestar
size ship. That is to Star Trekish for my taste. esp TNG
which I could not stand from that point of view.

I see the Battlestars like Star destroyers, been equipped for any possible encounter including troops as part of it standard complement.

Solium Drive team: 300
Tylium Drive team: 100

this are ok figures

but I disagree with
Maintenance team: 300 I find that undermanned

additionally I don´t believe that Crew that are unassigned would be sitting in there billets sitting out a battle... they would be assigned some duty station. perhaps to augment the damage control teams .
Quote:
Additionally, you have to account for the capitol ship weaponry -- if it is shooting missiles the size of a Titan III (going by the stock footage), and has more than two, that's a LOT of space, internally.
ah yes... this for me is another Gray area. where are they fired from ... any ideas... personally I never liked the inclusion of those in BSG. but given the scale I been looking at over the last few weeks easy to accommodate. depending on the amount stored.

Komma I don´t have a clue what that is ....
Quote:
The Viper crews will only handle Damage Control on the flight deck if there's damage. After all Vipers are away, they are scrambling to move ammunition and fuel packets to ready-load stations, prepping the catapults for fast relaunch, and readying emergency gear to cut Viper pilots out of damaged hulls when they pancake on landing under fire to refuel/rearm, then shove the damaged craft out of the way.
Agreed .. and that what I meant but time was against me to explain myself properly.

Quote:
As to moving supplies internally, except on a troopship, that doesn't happen very often, and on troopships it only happens when you're about to land. There is too little space aboard to futz around with moving things willy-nilly -- "Aliens" was a cool movie, but aimlessly shifting crates about the flight deck is a good way to blow something up when it shouldn't....Thus showing the wisdom of the design, as separate flight ops bays minimize the danger of completely losing your operational capability to catastrophic stupidity or bad luck -- as we see several times, specifically in "Fire on Space".
But if they need to move large bodies of whatever they are going to need the number to handle it..

even with say 5000 or 7000 crews on a Battlestar your still going to find lots of space.. empty ... corridor.. where you see no one..

But again these is my thinking of the subject anyway ....

I got this info here
http://science.howstuffworks.com/aircraft-carrier7.htm
Quote:
Jobs are highly varied, just like in a normal city. Approximately 2,500 men and women form the air wing, the people who actually fly and maintain the aircraft. Another 3,000 or so people make up the ship's company, which keeps all parts of the carrier running smoothly -- this includes everything from washing dishes and preparing meals to handling weaponry and maintaining the nuclear reactors.

The ship has everything its residents need to live, even if it's not as comfortably as they would like. There are multiple galleys (kitchens) and mess halls onboard, which collectively serve as many as 18,000 meals a day. The ship also has a sizable laundry facility, dentist and doctor's offices, various stores and a bank of telephones where personnel can talk to their families via satellite.
thanks for the input

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote