View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:53 PM   #85
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingPongBallEye
Me:
One question: since when do supernatural beings need a big crystal spaceship to fly around in? There is nothing of a "different plane" or "beyond comprehension" about the "angels" in War of the Gods.
By whose definition? Yours? I would submit that there's a lot that remained hard to fathom and grasp about them, just as is true for all those who operate on a different plane and who are being explicitly presented as one step removed from the Almighty Himself, as things were presented. Besides, for you to pooh-pooh the notion requires ignoring the obvious points already noted regarding the person of Iblis himself, the nature of the struggle as "Good-Evil" as defined in the closing sequence of the episode, not to mention Larson's own comments on the subject, and I think from here the trend is pretty obvious.

Quote:
There is no need (IMHO, of course) to resort to the supernatural or Divine to explain them. Certainly, one can attribute their powers to Divinity, but one can also attribute them to more natural sources -- and I tend to shave with Occam's Razor.
Except that in your case, you're ignoring the intent of those who created the episode in question and transposing your own perspective onto it, and I think that's why I have a hard time with your arguments. That isn't how the principles of Occam's Razor works. You have tested the hypothesis through what comes off as a very selective use of the evidence before you as opposed to to the totality of things.

Quote:
"As you are, we once were..." isn't a quote from Mormon theology, though it's close. The actual quote is, "As man now is, God once was: as God now is, man may be." It's attributed to a former LDS president, Lorenzo Snow.* You're correct in that it deals with the idea of humans becoming divine, but filtered through the SF sieve I mentioned earlier !)
I have to reiterate my point, that you are ignoring Larson's own words on this subject. He was harkening to that exact phrase when he wrote the line, so why don't we at least get a concession regarding the fact that your spin on this is merely your desire as an atheist to reinterpret WOTG along atheist lines? As a consevative Christian (and non-Mormon) I have to acknowledge the blatant use of Mormon doctrine in an episode because the authors speak of where they come from on that matter, and any harmonizing I then do to see Galactica as totally in synch with my own Christian perspective, must then be done with that caveat, and I'm afraid I'm not seeing that in your case.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote