View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:06 PM   #65
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
But - and I can't make this point clearly enough - any kind of portrayal of religion in any entertainment media - BSG, West Wing, Spongebob Squarepants - is going to be interpreted through the filter of our own belief system, which is one of the most intensely personal filters we have. We need to keep that in mind as we discuss this, too.

I am
Dawg
Agreed. Each and every person posting in response to this thread replies to this subject based on their own beliefs, interpretations. Basically, we all see what want to see. Whether one believes that someone else's opinion is baseless is a moot point (regardless of where you sit on the GALACTICA fence) because, again, we are only expressing opinions.

With that said, may I offer my most humble opinions and observations?

Yes, the original series, in my humble opinion, had an overtly spiritual/religious underpinning.

The parallel that I would draw between our beloved TOS and the new, equally legitimate BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is this:

In TOS, it was clear that the Colonial's faith and religion was there. Adama did speak like a warrior/priest with the grandiose "Let the word go fotth...." invocation, and the inspirational "..known to us only through ancient writings." speech in SOASW. He did rebuke the council of the twelve when Sire Uri made the proposeal to surrender to the Cylons. But that is not the end all/be all of their religious trappings. Adama had proven time and again that he was the fleet's spiritual leader throughout ongoing episodes of TOS, making references to the "Book of the Word". There was also the conflict with Count Iblis. the encounters with the BOL's (which strikes me equivalently as an evolution of man, and as an angelic presence). The thing is , Classic BATTLESTAR GALACTICA started out with religious undertones, and continued to build on that as time went on.

In the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, religion is portrayed differently, yes. I do tend to liken the Cylon's beliefs to the "holy wars" of today. There is no Cylon parallel between TOS and TNS as far as religion goes. The parallel I suggest is that while the religion within the rag-tag fleet is there (just not as pronounced as in TOS), I believe that over time as the new series evolves, religion may end up taking a stronger role (just as it did in TOS). The classic series evolved until its end. The new series will evolve until its end. I now end the parallel.

It is my humble opinion that Adama (whom I do not believe to be an Aetheist, simply someone who does not overtly profess his beliefs in a higher power) will come to embrace faith, and rely strongly on Elosha, the Colonial priestess. Starbuck's prayer to the Lords of Kobol was heartfelt. She, like Adama, probably does not profess an overt belief in God or the Lords of Kobol. (Besides, no Aetheists in foxholes.) When she confesses her "fatal mistake" to Lee Adama, just before going on the recon through the Ragnar EM field, she realized that this could very well be the end, and that she would like to meet her Maker with a clear conscience.

As for whom Commander Adama lied to in the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is subject to conjecture as well. I tend to agree that Commander Adama lied to President Roslin. Adama clearly does not trust politicians nearly as much as his own people. Also, it is ambiguous in the miniseries as to whether or not he is aware of Roslin's terminal condition. He only knows that Roslin is a school teacher cum President. and that is still the way he views her. Why fully detail the course to/location of Earth to someone you don't trust? (Especially with the current Cylon threat) Why fully disclose the Fleet's most guarded secret to an academic cabinet member with newfound executive authority? As the series develops, we will learn (I am sure) who Adama really lied to.

Bottom line is, the miniseries is only the first step. The series is the next step. Over time, the series may well answer questions and fill in gaps left by the mini. There are those who will watch the mini and see for themselves whether or not it evolves in the way we hope it does. There are those who will not watch.

In either case , "There are those who believe..".one way or the other. And beliefs are nothing more than vehement opinions.

Respectfully to all,
Martok2112