View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM   #63
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
The Sagan's sake reference was only put in there as a joke...I don't think it has any significance other than being a reference to astronomer Carl Sagan...it is kind of funny!
I never noticed the "Sagan's sake" reference until I saw it mentioned at Colonial Fleets. It just blew right past me before. I figured it had to be an homage to Carl Sagan. I did wonder after seeing how it was used whether the writer in that episode was making an anti-religious quip or just being funny. Did Larson write that episode? Carl Sagan always seemed to be an anti-religious person and substituting his name in an expression that invokes God in our use I think was meant to express something. If it was meant as somthing more than a joke it could be a connection between Earth and the colonials. Sagan popularized space to many people. It could be possible that if TOS is set in the future and that the colonials are really descendants of Earth people (concept that Kobol = Earth) then Carl Sagan could have went from being a famous person to a cult like figure in the future.

Whatever the intention the use of the term adds some spice to TOS to those who realized it.