View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #51
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarks
Well I just finished watching these two episodes again, and aside from the cute felmale warriors, Brie, Rigel, Athena, Serina, etc, I thought about the time that BSG was written, 1978. They were showing females in leading warrior positions and doing as well as a man (They just lacked full training). Even now our society is still trying to come to grips with females in the military and they wrote in the females piloting fighters and doing very well.
if you compare it to other network shows of the time it was light years ahead...I caught an ep of Quincy the other day and literally cringed when he told the female investigator from the CDC sent to track the origin of a food poisoning outbreak at a stadium that it was going to be a treat working with such a good looking girl and how did such a looker get a job with so much responsibility and she took it without so much as an eye roll...eehwww!!

(BTW the actress playing the investigator was the one who has subsequently played senior officers in Trek....she'd seen some changes!)

Cheers,
Lara