SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42
It is unfortunate but true that 17,000 viewers is not enough to green light a series. It may be enough to puit out a DVD collection because that costs them virtually nothing since all the footage is sitting in a vault. Any profit matterscompared to nothing.
But as an example, when a studio does a release of say, Wild Wild West, it costs them considerably less than an original project that they don't own and have to develop, eliminating an entire tier of costs. And they don't market it to the original viewers because they wouldn't account for a big enough demographic and their demographicdoesn't go to the movies or watch tv in numbers comparable to a younger audience. Which is who they then market the remake to. An audience who never saw the original.
It may be crappy, but most business is.
Forgive me for jumping in here so late, but I've got the flu and was out of it completely for a few days.

Malachi, one point I see didn't get made was that the 17,000 figure is particularly impressive when you consider the fact we're talking about an internet petition. How many households are wired to the internet world-wide - 8 - 10%, or something like that? Obviously, it's a bit higher in the US and the rest of the "west", but it represents only a small fraction of those households who own televisions.

Imagine what kind of representative sample of the total number of fans that is, then. It's a factor totally disregarded as they conceived and wrote this mini. Still more mismanagement of the franchise.

I'll say that I really think BSG could have been as big as Star Trek if they'd handled it right; they haven't yet, and I don't think the mini has the stuff to do it. The original concept does - I'm prepping my letters to go out 1/2, and I hope everyone else is, too.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote