View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #8
bionicbob
Warrior

Superman/Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles
It wasn't enough for the SMDM to have a bionic arm, eye, and legs.

Consider;

1. Those thermal isotope batteries that powered him had to be the size of golfballs and he needed shielding.
2. His skeleton had to be totally rebuilt from heels to crown to enable him to carry through the total shock loads he endured when he lept or ran or lifted those impossible weights or tore Sasquatch's arm off.
3. His brain had to be retrained totally to use those bionics. For one thing, reaction time speeds for a human, while fast, are not designed for running at 100 kph. You learn an entire new way of looking and reacting[predictive], when you DRIVE at those speeds. Running? It involves an entire order of magnitude difference as you have to preplan where you set your feet at up to ten times a second.

I always wondered why Rudy didn't take the left arm as well. Symmetry is important in an animal. He would know that. Humans are asymmetric in that they have a strength/fine manipulation side, but the power ratio discrepancy is only about 5%. Anything above that and you start having problems.

As a kid with that sort of imagination, I had to assume that Steve Austin was Wolverined to make him work.

Not Superman, but equally cool.

As always;

Yes, logic/real science was never a big part of SMDM. They tried there best, especially with the NASA stuff. But hey, it was 1970s action tv not science class!

But you are right, his entire skeleton would have been reinforced. And who knows, maybe when they put in the Bionic Eye they added some cybernetics to his brain to help him adapt to all the Bionic modifications. I believe Kevin Smith's script delt with this issue a tiny bit, by having them remove BOTH of Steve's arms.

But you know when you are 7 or 10 years old and watching Steve kick bionic butt, all you are thinking is "COOL MAN"!!!!
bionicbob is offline   Reply With Quote