View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #50
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Re: Colonial Fleet star system Cyrannus

Okay - Never having tried to upload an image before, here's to hoping this works.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a VERY crude sketch of my ideas. Only after finishing it, did I realize that Caprica and Scorpius ended up transposed - apologies. The planet names can be changed around as needed. The stars were not named to save space (I have a rather small screen).

I think this fits the observed show well -- the POV from Caprica, here (in either orbit) is correct for Baltar's scene, and all operational fleet tracks are well within the dialog of the show.

Four points:

1. The orbits of the planets DO NOT intersect with each other! What I cannot show using MSPaint is that the system worlds are on obtuse ecliptic planes -- basically, the worlds around one star orbit at a highly eccentric angle, relative to the other solar groups...think of the gears of a watch, where several gear groups overlap, but never come into contact with each other. If it helps, the suns are not evenly spaced vertically, like apples in a bowl, but are separated by several AU's, from top to bottom.

2. The three suns will all be somewhat dimmer than Sol, again working for Baltar's conversation with the Centurions, but collectively will put out c.5% more radiation. My Paint-fu is not good enough to accurately display distances, but the habitable worlds are all far enough out that they do not get lethal levels of heat.

3. The Asterons were simply scattered. These are generally Ceres-sized moonlets that slowly wander through the system, but pose no danger to the worlds within.

4. This is NOT a complete map! It does not show minor moons, like Luna, nor does it show possible asteroid fields, beyond the wandering Asterons. Also, it does not display either Kuyper Belt or Oort Cloud objects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyrannus System.JPG (50.2 KB, 14 views)