Thread: Too big to kill
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Too big to kill

Does anyone realize that this article was written four years before the release of (and who knows how long before the production of) the JJ Abrams Trek film?

I didn't see anything here that seemed deriding or berating of anyone in terms of fandom. It read more to me like acknowledging the fact that fans and aficianados of the series kept it alive for as long as possible.

It also acknowledges that tv shows and movies are indeed becoming nothing more than forerunners for said shows' or movies' digital releases (DVD -- and now--although unmentioned because of the time it was written-- blu-ray). Remember when movies used to run for months, or even upwards of a year or more in the cinemas? Now, even a blockbuster movie is lucky to get two or three months on the big screen before being formatted for DVD/blu-ray transfer. (Hell, most companies already have their crews and actors providing commentary for DVD/blu-ray before those films are even released to the big screen.) I think the film "Independence Day" was the last of the long-run cinematic events before finally getting released to VHS the month following the end of its cinematic reign.

I just cannot agree with anyone's dismal assessment of this report. Show me anywhere where the author suggested he did not like or could not fathom Star Trek or its popularity?

It should say more like "Hell hath no ambivalence like a Klingon shrugging his shoulders."