Thread: BSG Mini
View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #16
Antelope

Default Moore's BSG = Battlestar or 1980

I agree with many of the points on this thread by both sides. I liked the mini, I liked TOS, and I would have liked a continuation. I think however that from a financial point Battlestar Galactica is at a crossroads.

If Moore's Battlestar becomes a series it will spell the end of any continuation effort no matter what we want to think. No one is going to finance something that appears to COMPETE with a successful Battlestar on SCIFI or where ever it appears. If Moore's version goes to series and fails people outside the world of Galacticon and colonial fleets will think Battlestar Galactica failed. We will not see funding for anymore projects. If SCIFI fails to greenlight a series or another mini the purist will treat the mini just like we all do BSG80. We will pretend it never happened. From a financial standpoint the mini appears to be a success. Someone will see this and at some point in the next few years make another Battlestar Galactica. Whether it is a continuation of the original, a continuation of the Moore version, or a Battlestar Pegasus type story who knows. It will all depend on who pays and who writes the script.

What am I trying to say? If you want a continuation you need to hope that SCIFI does not greenlight a series. If SCIFI does greenlight a series no matter what side you're on you better hope for it to be a success because it will be the only shot at new Galactica we are going to get.

Since the mini is based on an old movie maybe a new series would return to the themes of TOS. No matter what you think of the mini I would give a new series a chance. Moore is already talking about remaking "Living Legend".

Personally I thing Battlestar Galactica lives or dies in 2004-2005.

We are on the same path as Star Trek. Success breeds opportunity but failure ends the franchise. No one is going to blame the script writers when they cancel Star Trek. I already heard Patrick Stewart says something to the effect that "Star Trek may have runs it's course." I just hope the Battlestar community is at the same point Star Trek was at the start of TNG not where Star Trek is today.