Thread: Tron Legacy
View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1
JAFO
Bad Email Address

Default Tron Legacy

Went to see Tron Legacy in 3D today. First off, I went to see Tron when it first came out - I was 12 - and I loved the movie. I always hoped they'd make a sequel and this one doesn't disappoint - well, almost. But more about that after this. This isn't a synopsis of the movie, you can get that anywhere. The visuals in this movie are second to none. The computer generated de-aged Flynn/Clu is so close in some scenes that it made me shake my head in amazement. Does the movie pay homage to the original - yes. Flynn's arcade, Lightcycles, Tanks, Recognizers, Sark's Carrier, the Solar Sailer and even a shot of an authentic Tron videogame, they're all here. There's even a reference to Dumont in the movie (did you catch it?). Tron Legacy picks up several years after Flynn makes it back from "the grid" and fast-forwards to today, years after Flynn's disappearance, introducing us to Kevin Flynn's son Sam. Sam, the majority stockholder of Encom, seems to me to be an idealistic, albeit rebellious, combination of both the Alan and Kevin characters from the first film. And Sam is led to Flynn's place because Alan receives a page from the joint. And this is when Sam finally gets to see what his dad had been telling him stories about. What Sam thought was "make-believe" all these years...

And here's where I felt disappointed. Look, I know this is a Disney movie, released at Christmas-time. But...but...but let's just say you're at work, all alone in the building. Everyone has left early for the day. And a strange email pops up, kinda familiar looking. You open it and it's blank, save for one strange looking link and you click on it. And the very next breath you take somebody throws a hood over your head and you're in a totally foreign environment, miles away from the office. Thousands of miles away from every random bit of your life that makes you you - tonight's dinner you left cooking in the crockpot, the check you have to deposit to cover the bills, the pet you have to feed, the phone call you know you have to make to your girlfriend. All of it. All of it is just...gone. Where am I? What the hell is happening TO ME??? Sam, like his father, is snatched from his everyday existence, taken by the most spectacular means of "extraordinary rendition" and dumped into "the grid". No warning, no explanation. Nobody to help you make sense of anything. You're here because you did something wrong, man. Something that you'll never understand was even wrong in the first place. You're here. And you're mine.

I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of the Disney trailer from 2009. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Tron Legacy. But I think it could have used a little more of the sense of desperation from the 2009 trailer.

"You won, ok? It's just a game!!!!!!"

Well, kid, "Not anymore."

Last edited by JAFO; December 29th, 2010 at 12:06 AM..
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote