View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #18
larocque6689
Warrior

Find Earth?

No way. That would defeat the entire point of the exercise. One of the "in-jokes" of the original series is we all knew there was an Earth, even if most people except Adama were in disbelief of the concept. In the new series, Adama doesn't even believe in Earth. Which makes it even a greater "in-joke", because we as audience members all know that Earth is real.

The new producers were less interested in exploring the mythology of the original series than promoting a "here and now" story where humanity faces the prospects of its own extinction. In the sense that it copies the basic elements of the original pilot episode, it deserves to call itself "Galactica", but it is clear they weren't using the rest of the series as a reference.

All the same, to answer the first question - if it goes "series", they will have to explore "Earth", just as in the original series the second episode dealt with the Egyptian/Kobolian lore of the 13th tribe.

By the way - as a trivia note, I have finally read the script. Or most of it. I skimread a lot of the battle scenes and concentrated on the dialog, and at least two scenes where Number Six goes into territory unconceived of in the original series. (the keyword here is "hands"). I may give it a second glance and then just forget about. There's stuff in the script I like, but I find the entire concept of "sex with a Cylon" goofy.