View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I just watched this again tonight. Wow, what a moving episode. There is /so much/ going on. Apollo's wedding, Baltar's trickery, sickness among the pilots, female cadets trying to cope, the magnetic void, and something very, very interesting. (see below).

I just got my Indy DVD set too. I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark just before Lost Planet of the Gods. Let people say BSG copies from others. Even more shows copy from BSG. You've gotta get a chill watching the laser-like beam of light in the tomb bounce off the gems, and realize Indy's map room scene is almost identical! Thing is, it's not so unique -- the Egyptians incredibly built temples like Abu Simbel for just that purpose -- one day of the year the sun would pierce an aperture and light up something important way at the back of the temple/tomb. But BSG did it 3 years before Indy. Pretty cool!

Richard's mourning is a piece of incredible acting! Most series actors take 6 or seven eps to really fall into their character. Richard did it right off the mark. (Dirk too). The only other sci fi series actor I ever saw nail his part right off the bat was Bill Shatner in Star Trek TOS. Day 1 line 1 he /was/ the quintessential Kirk (to borrow a Klingon phrase).

The devastating damage to the wall frieze about the 13th tribe just as they found it was a great piece of writing. It actually sparked the same feeling of bitter dissapointment and irony in me. So close! My personal opinion is the BSG writers did an awesome job in the limited time allotted. Weaving all those plots together with an ongoing mysterious mythos took more talent than I think most folks give them credit for.

Great ep!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote