View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:36 PM   #25
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMaster
Hmm:

Hyperdimensional physics (ST's subspace physics to have the exact same properties) says there's a hyperdimensional massless eather (subspace). Interestingly, large rotating masses and electro-magnetic fields draws energy out of this subspace at key angles/degrees. Stars and planets would thus generate massive subspace fields, in fact planets would add to the stars subspace generation.

The jump points could then be where subspace fields of different stars intersect - and knowing supspace physics would allow you to understand where jumppoints most likely form, and to which star they go.

Tylium can be mined from planets. One could pose that in very old planets, minerals could be compressed over long periods of time, and if it's in those key angles where supspace energy is being pulled into normal space, those highly compressed minerals could be enfused with it; like a constant conduit to subspace. Destroying this mineral in a chemical reaction would then disrupt it's conduit to subspace and for a moment draw LARGE amounts of energy from it, including a momentary decrease in normal space/time cohesion - which is exactly what one would need to open such a jumppoint. Bash one subspace section against the other, and let them form a harmony and watch jumppoints open.

Anyone like the theory?
It's pretty in-line both with my thoughts, and with canon. As an aside, the source material I'm drawing my ideas from - The Mote In God's Eye - was described to its authors by the guy who came up with it(Dan Alderson, of JPL), as 'weaknesses in the space-time continum at pointas of equi-potential nuclear flux'...

No, I don't pretend to understand that either.

OTOH, your take would nicely explain the bulge on Galactica's underside