View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM   #24
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I can understand the point, I think, about re-doing some of the more popular TOS episodes. Why not, it would be nice to see how they would turn out, as written by Moore.

The question that I ask is "Why?"

--For nearly 2 years, we've had a steady stream of reports on how this mini-series would be 're-inventing science fiction', how this mini-series is a show that should be 'given a chance' and 'judged on its own merits', how it should NOT be directly compared to TOS. Fine. That's applaudable. There are already enough differences between the mini-series and TOS, that it is not the same show. These same folks that are trumpetting the differences between the mini-series and TOS, are all too ready to 'go back to the well' of TOS and, basically, 'cherry-pick' the good things and call it NEW, IMPROVED, and (gasp) "sophisticated".

I think not. If, and I say if, this mini-series is to be 'judged on its own merits' and if it is to be a 'reinvention of science fiction' then, create a different storyline. Tell some new tales. Why limit the storytelling to that which has already occurred. If one constantly goes back to TOS for story fodder, can one ever escape its shadow?

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote