View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #51
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
And let's carry this arugment to the non-scifil realm. Should "Gone With The Wind" and "The Wizard Of Oz" be altered with modern CGI FX for the sake of being "with it" with a new generation of audiences, or should the power of what they did at the time they were made in with the tools that were available in that time be respected?

I am emphatically for the latter and just as the idea of a CGI enhanced burning of Atlanta would make me cringe, so too would the prospect of seeing the Galactica I have never become bored with over the yahrens altered make me cringe as well. Let Galactica's merits as a fine piece of storytelling in the era it was produced carry the day with its ability to connect with future generations.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, however the "Gone with the Wind" etc. analogy doesn't quite work for me. Some things lend themselves to "tinkering" and some don't. Sci Fi has that uniqueness to it that many other genres do not.

The thing that particularly would lend itself where Galactica relates is the stock footage. I've never gotten sick of the original either, but I would love to see those battles from other angles for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for destroying the originals. I do not believe one should replace the other. Just like they did with Star Trek, I think it would just be for a new viewing experience. When I watch Star Trek I usually watch the originals, but I was really into those enhanced episodes when they came out.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote