View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #49
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

I'm back. Was going to stick around to answer and put some more questions down, but had to go off and watch Lost on Sky TV tonight i.e. a repeat showing for me!

Anyways back on track, yeah i'd say Robert Wise's ST:TMP is a fine example of SE done right. Its got a different audio effect track mind you, but its been enhanced as a updated Star Trek was expected to look and feel etc. Star Wars SE while a little controversial did fix some necessary issues with the older film and update and repair what was needed in the right areas (Yavin 4 Base exterior, X-Wing Vs Tie-Fighter battle) and so forth. And as we all know, its failing were the main selling point for editor Adywan to fix up and do the SW SE films properly through fan determination and love of the OT.

And Adywan isn't a CGI hog himself neither but is simply going about improving the Star Wars films where the SE should've.

Anybody checked out his recent clip of his Bespin approach yet?.....

Adywan's Empire: Revisited - Bespin Approach [ Vaderios Split Screen ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAPNuxqOreI

Love the pan, but i hope he keeps it to a minimum seeing as too much digital tweaks might be what the naysayers are clearly worried about.

If we were to whack up this list however; just how many tweaked or re-edits are going about improving Sci-fi shows/films exactly?

* Star Wars/Empire Revisted

* Star Trek Remastered

* Red Dwarf SE/updated

* Space 2099 (recently)

* Several Dr Who original series episodes/stories (The Five Doctors, The Black Guardian Saga/Trilogy)

Wouldn't mind added Battlestar to the list to be honest! Cos mostly none of those others are opting for a HD Blu-Ray treatment (except ST:R), which any official recut would opt for in light of the Blu-Ray format taking off now!

I'd also like to add, the fact that other SE/remastered cuts suffered from lack of any real budget or time necessary to do them proper justice leading to wasted opportunities (Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut). If fans were to do their own project together remastering BG with any connections and resources, at work for example, with the right tools (PC, Mac etc?).

We'd have to set up some goals to avoid those pitfalls.

For example...

1) No stone left unturned.

2) Necessary time alotted for the pieces to come together. ragtag crew of fans willing, fans support (from the fanbase), organisation/resources of those with connections, outline of what to do and plan of events etc.

3) Resources, i.e. PC software at everybody's disposal.

4) No limitations on whats possible. If some new 3D tech comes out while we're doing the project, have it investigated. Check up on new and possible Home Cinema hardware tech (and in that home cinema's website might be of soem use to enquire about any advancements)

5) Physical Models i.e. BG series replicas that are film camera worthy. That once "lit" can easily be shot, and look identical to the '78 SFX BG Apogee shots and slightly improve upon them (i.e. all new camera pans, angles and shots etc).

6) CFF Ad campaign once again. If this were to be a major fan endeavour! This fanbase was such alive when they did these things, if this fanbase is fans doing projects for the majority of fans and sci-fi afictionardos, then why not inspire ourselves with this thing!

7) Get Glen Larson or Tom DeSanto involved. Some "pull" behind the fan efforts behind this project would be incredible. Much better yet, get the fella who got all the DVD extras content for the 2003 DVD's onboard this project and see if he can help with obtaining the stuff that didn't make the complete DVD's set the first time around?!?

8.) Bigger Blu-Ray/DVD media release coverage! Unlike the 2003 DVD's, if this became official, then i reckon like the Star Trek Remastered behind-the-scenes clips, this would need to get lots of attention, if the money were there for the project too. And push this thing with interviews and somebody shooting some fly-on-the-wall documentary footage, thus showing the public the interest this should be getting and how big of an event fans could make it.

9) Bonus features. Discussed earlier on here by myself and others in various threads regarding Galactica and another DVD re-release. - Much needed and not a repeat of the previous 2003 DVD set.

10) Packaging. Fan produced or an official release. We're creative, we got this one right??? Save the best til last as they say!

All i know is, save a bit of "cash" to hire Drew Struzan or Frank Frazetta to do the Blu-Ray cover in killer art! lol, and if not any of them, then go to ComicCon and hire a decent comic book artist or painter. Think big, and have bigger ambitions i reckon!

KJ