Thread: Bsg cg 3d!
View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Fretslayer
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Bsg cg 3d!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon Ra View Post
Oh wow...so you're going for the 3D with the glasses...awesome. I have quite a collection of the anaglyph glasses, red-blue, red-green, etc. I used to work at an arena so I even have a pair of 3D glasses from when KISS did their psycho circus tour. I've always wanted to do a video game that uses 3D glasses.

You in a band too, what do you do? I'm a guitar player/singer myself, but only on a personal level.

The only reason I asked is because I wanted to make sure you were serious - which you obviously are. Guess I'm just a little overly protective with my work.

Well, rock on and I look forward to hopefully seeing a sample.

Amon Ra
Hey, no problem being protective of your work.
Musician to musician I fully understand.

My approach is like this - without the hard work put in by the modeler I wouldn't have the prop to use in the telling of my story. So regardless of how important the animation/editing/directing part of the project is...no matter now important the voice acting, sound effects and musical score are - they're all much ado about nothing without the actual models, so yah, I value the artist when it comes to this sort of thing.

I do my own modeling too but my approach is this - I don't want to be a modeler and I barley want to be an animator. What I want to do is tell good stories that entertain and interest people. Animation is my means to that end. I have no budget to speak of and so physical actors, elaborate sets, high tech cameras and all of that stuff is out. Plus when you have all of those things invested you better make a return on that investment.

Since my investment is CG apps, meshes and editing software it makes the creation of a film possible. Additionally I am a one man studio which means that any story I want to tell is automatically 'green lighted'. LOL!

Regarding the 3D effect - I'm bouncing back and forth with the red/blue green/magenta glasses to see which one will work the best. While red/blue (cyan) is easier to get a hold of - green/magenta allows for a better range of color in the animation.

Something that I'm doing with the project is creating my 3D effect in composite layers. This takes a whole lot of extra time and work on my part but it also gives me control over the object's depth in the scene. Meaning that if I have Raiders in the background and Vipers in the foreground I can have two different levels of 3D effect for each. The extra work bites but it results in a much cooler effect. I also have Moca for After Effects but being self taught I'm still in the weeds with that app. I do know it's awesome for doing 3D conversions but right now, it's over my head.

But anyway...
Yes, I'm serious and if I don't deliver a BSG animation to Dan soon he'll probably have a hit put out on me. LOL!

On a side note - I'm a Guitarist/Bassist/Singer. I play guitar when I'm writing songs and jamming while hanging out and I play bass in my band.
I have a collection of classic U.S California B.C. Rich custom basses & guitars and I also play Jackson guitars. I use Ampeg bass rigs and Crate guitar heads. Hartke speakers in the bass rig and Celestion in the guitar. Jim Dunlop picks. Dean Markley Blue Steel bass strings and Dean Markley guitar strings.
Fretslayer is offline   Reply With Quote