Thread: Recipie Swaps
View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Default Back, finally

Finally a chance to get back into this thread!

Lara,

Gemini is correct; the measure should be 2 cups for the hawaiian coffee cake.

Give it a try and let me know what you think...

Since the warm weather is approaching us in the northern lattitudes, here are a couple of cool recipes:

Pistachio Jello

2 boxes sugar free Pistachio pudding
2 – 15oz. Cans crushed pineapple, in juice (not syrup)
2 Cups small marshmallows
1 – 16oz or 2 – 8oz cartons of cool whip

Mix pistachio pudding mix with pineapples, juice and all. Mix in marshmallows. Mix in Cool Whip. Refrigerate.

A pretty unique taste, in my opinion. Got the recipe from my cousin.

Shelley’s Peanut Butter Pie

Graham cracker crust
1/3 cup Peanut Butter
3 oz. Cream Cheese – softened
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup milk
8 oz. Cool Whip – thaw a little

Mix all except cool whip with mixer
Fold in Cool Whip – put mixture into crust
Put in Freezer…Yum!
This one is from one of my coworkers. The "...Yum!" is from her original recipe.

And since it's fall in the southern lattitudes, here's a couple for Lara!

Apple Raisin Coffee cake

Cake:
3 Large eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups unbleached white flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ raisins
2 cups raisins

Topping
1 cup apple, peeled cored and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cinnamon

In a mixing bowl combine eggs, apple juice, and butter, and beat well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Mix thoroughly and stir in raisins and apples. Sppon into an oiled and floured round 9” x 1 ½ “ baking pan and spread batter evenly in pan. (Batter will fill the pan upon baking, so use less batter if substituting a shallower or smaller pan.)
Toss topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Arrange apple slices over batter in an attractive pattern. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned and a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serves 6.

This one makes a much better coffee cake than the Hawaiian, Lara. Dry as a bone when I make it...

and finally, one of my favorite dishes when the weather cools off, Pastina Soup.

Pastina Soup

1 lb Pastina nooldles (orzo or pepe de acomo will also work)

1 Roast (2-4 lbs)

¼ onion, sliced

1 can of Tomato Puree (29 oz)

1 handful (¼ - ½ cup) Celery leaves, torn into small pieces (halves or quarters)

2 large pots

In first pot, add water until roast is completely covered, add onion and celery leaves, bring to boil, simmer for 2 hours, covered. Remove roast from water, cut and break up into small bite-sized pieces, removing fat if desired.

In second pot, bring pastina noodles to boil, boil 5 minutes, drain.

Return meat to original water, add can of tomato puree,+ 1 can full of water, and cooked pastina noodles. Simmer for ½ an hour, stirring occasionally.

Serve hot, salt and pepper to taste.

Stay hungry,

G A