View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #24
zona75
Just Lost My Cherry!

Wow talk about alot of bitter poeple. I loved the new version, and I have my reasons, the same way that I loved the old series, which quite honestly was just as flawed.

A comment was made about the hockey hair of the original series and that made me laugh, but the response to that comment really got me. Take a look at the current military, and the haircuts they they had were perfect. I am active duty navy, have been for 9 years, and that is what I see day in and day out. Well except for allowing females to wear ponytails, that is all sorts of against regs, it can easily become a hazard.

What I loved about the new series is that it was by far more realistic then the original. I've been on two ships, an old Submarine that was getting ready for decom when I reported, and a Cruiser. And you know what, they way things looked on the Galactic was perfect. It wasn't too advanced, it looked like an aged ship, and the realism is what drew me in, especially since I've been there and done that. The old wired phones, the damage control displays, the comm printouts, the layout of the bridge and all of that. Hell even the uniforms made more sense, flight crew having different colors then the pilots, you should go online and check out the flight crew uniforms that sailors use on aircraft carriers now. They are very similiar. The use of call signs makes a bit more sense, and eliviates the cheese factor that the original series had, and makes the mini feel more realistic. Again look at the current military, they seem to have based alot of it on that. Though I do have to say that someone needs to teach these guys how to salute, god that kills me.

I do think it was a bit oversexed. But hey sex sells. Now I am a twenty-something male. Trust me I love sex, the more the better, but I didn't want it here. The beginning scene was pretty much useless, the one between the chief and boomer was interesting and believe me it does happen. The idea of integrated male and female military/cast was a good idea too. that is what the current military is moving towards, so why not show that in some future world that it has been done and works well.

Now I do have the original mini-series and full series on DVD, and I do love it. But don't make it out to be some sort of a god that nothing else will ever live up to. It was flawed, the acting wasn't that great at times, some of the episodes were down right cheesy, but I loved it then and I still do now.

Quite honestly I feel that if this show had been given a different name, and different character names were used that it wouldn't be getting beat up as much. Give it a chance, it is supposed to be a complete retelling, therefor it is supposed to be completely different. The character are different on purpose, they are not at all supposed to be like the original series, that is the whole point that alot of you seem to not be seeing. From reading alot of the posts, and whether alot of you realise it or not, you are coming off as if you had your opinion of this formed before you even saw it. Give it a chance, it isn't perfect, but nothing ever is at first. All the first few episodes of all the trek series for instance were flawed, but got better with time.

It actually reminded me alot of the series Above and Beyond, or something like that which was out a few years ago. Just thought I would throw that in.

OK well there is my opinion for now. I might have more to say at another time, or I may not, depends on what is said after this. It's just my opinion, it's how things appear though my eyes.

Let the abuse begin ;-)