View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #196
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerita
We have an SCA group that meets every Sunday afternoon in the park around the corner from my house. They do all kinds of things like sword play. We also just had a huge SCA thing at our fairgrounds complete with jousting with real horses. The costumes were unbeliveable. I keep thinking I['ll take a walk to our park and watch them one Sunday, but I usually forget about it until it is to late....
Go watch, they won't bite . If its their weekly fighting and A&S (Arts and Sciences) practice its the ideal opportunity to suss them out . Different groups have different focii, so your local group might be big on fighting, tudor costumes, music and dance, the next geographic group might be big on Calligraphy, viking culture, cooking, archery and rapier. After all pre 1600CE Western culture covers a LOT of interests..

SCA heavy combat (sword play) is really cool, as its not choregraphed and it is full contact.

I'm wondering if the event at the fairground wasn't a Renn Fair (Rennaissance Fair) which is not an SCA event, but a public event with a medieval theme? Lots of fun, but not the same. If it was an SCA event, it may have been a regional gathering to cellebrate the Coronation of the next King and Queen...

Cheers,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote