View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM   #5
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
Wow.

This makes sense (as much as I understand it).

Presumably once they enter unchharted space they must use some sort of scanners to detect these tram lines.

Is this done by the Vipers that go on deep space recon?

Can you explain what kind of phenomenon the Nova of Madagon could be attributed to in reality?

Thanks.

From my view, the Galactica and some of the other ships in the fleet (like the mining ship[s]) likely have the ability to scan for new Jump-points; at the same time, as was demonstrated in LPotG, the Viper patrols function as an extension of the Galactica's sensor suite, and so could probably find a new Jump point well before Galactica.

Once they're clear of charted space - probably very soon after LL/FiS - they and the Cylons sunddenly become totally equal; I never got the idea that the Cylons had explored very far out past Gomoray(sp?).

This dovetails nicely with C.O.R.A.: although the novels indicate that a couple of other military vessels survived, I don't recall seeing them. Soooo -- how do you check for an ambush at the destination system? Answer: equip a couple of small (i.e., expendable) ships with Jump drives, and send them through first. This would be a standard naval tactic for all sides with this sort of Drive; if the recon ships come back and reports all clear, you're probably good for at least a head start in that system.

Sticking C.O.R.A. in a Viper, along with a Jump Drive that renders the Viper unarmed? Well, it may have been a hand-built drive, and the Viper - with a good enough pilot - doesn't need to be shooting; the measure of success in a recon mission is to gather information and report back, undetected by the enemy. As any recon-type will tell you, if you fire a shot while snooping, your mission is a failure.

The Nova of Madagon is really nothing more than two stars in extremely close proximity to each other. The "bleed-over" effect is one that we have seen in RL photos of other stars, IIRC.

Well, as My Far Better Looking Half just informed me, I need to get my tail into the kitchen and make breakfast...