View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:09 PM   #8
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallworld
Hi all, here is a concept I have been kicking around for a while. The idea is for a heavy strike fighter that would operate from battlestars as a compliment to Mk1 Vipers. This would be like Grumman Avengers in WW2 or Intruders more recently. She is a big beast, but still compact. I have kept the vertical height the same as a Viper, so headroom in the landing bay wont be a problem. I wouldn't fit a 'tube, but its not an interceptor so that shouldn't matter.
As it wont be as manouverable as a Viper, I have added a rear defensive position, with a gunner at the back. I have always thought gunners are way cool!
Underneath there are four internal missile bays, as well as heavy forward firing cannon. The missile bays could hold either one heavy "Base Buster" missile or a pair of smaller ship to ship weapons, suitable for Raider engagement. Here there is a mix of both types. The small door is the crew access hatch.
Other duties would be long range patrol. A bit more comfortable than a Viper. A third crewman could be accomodated in the middle position if required. The last view shows the canopy cover removed. I had an idea four mounting an optical sight beside the pilot like a periscope that the middle crewman could come forward to use for missile guidance. Might look dumb though.

In designing this i was aiming to produce something that looks like it belongs in the BSG universe that could be a cool prop in a production. I think that lots of dramatic scenarios could be written around this ship type. Anyway, thanks for looking, comments and crits welcome!
That is quite interesting. A good application of design movement and critical thought. You didn't just take a viper and slap more guns on it or load it up with missiles.

I look forward to seeing what you do stylistically with it... how you finish it off.

On first blush it seems a little sleek in the body for Colonial Military technology, but I'm sure the application of textures and panels and such will change my view.

I'm a believer of the idea that the Colonial military wouldn't simply have battlestars, shuttles and vipers. There are so many other functions that are not addressed by those craft. We've seen Cylon tankers, what do colonial tankers look like? They must exist... we just never saw them. And as for other military craft, well... there had to be something else. We're talking about a society that has been at war for 1000 years (yahren). They'd have come up with other fighting craft. I mean, look at our military... how many different war vessels we've created (air, land and sea) and we've only been at it for 200 years! Their entire economy would be based upon military contracting. And the military contractors that I know don't make their money from rolling out a blue bazillion of the same unit (though they do that too). They make their money from developing a blue bazillion NEW military goodies and selling them to the government. You know, like snack crackers.

You have an interesting design base here. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

-Gordon