View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #158
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Battlestar Galactica 1978

My callsign: When I was a kid, I used grab 8 or 20 sheets of manila paper from the elementary school supply and draw the Galactica, the Pegasus, the Solaria, and most of the ships of the rag-tag fleet, (never could get that damn Colonial Movers Ship right!). I eventually took some of the drawings, cut the ships out stuck 'em on my wall.

Being also heavily interested in warships, I thougth quite a bit about Battlestars in general and the Galactica in particular. There had to be some kind of precursor in the Colonial Fleets, as the pre-dreadnought is to the dreadnought, the 'pre-battlestar'. So, using a naval convention, I called the 'pre-battlestars' a 'battlecruiser,' and decided they would all be named for the Colonies. I drew them as smaller than a battlestar, with only two 'arms' attached to the launch bays on the sides. (As a side note, on the naval boards I frequent, I'm 1Big Rich)

Now, my astrological sign (if you believe in that sort of thing) is Aries, so I started a story we would call fan fiction today about one of these battlecruisers before and after the fall of the Colonies.

Shortly after going online and searching for all things battlestar, I saw this:

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/im...tar_pulsar.gif

It looked just like my fanciful Colonial Battlecruiser, and was a really a well done schematic to boot. So my 'Battlecruiser Aries' story became Gunstar Aries. When I discovered the Fleets, it seemed a natural....

My Avatar, and my title of "Stubborn Colonial Warsihp" kind of go together. My friends know I'm hard-headed; that little character seemed to suit me fine. And being a Galactica fan is kind of like beating your head against the wall. Hope springs eternal there will be a continuation, if I only pound long enough. And in the Gunstar Aries story, she's critically damaged, but her crew is just too stubborn to give up on, on their ship or themselves.

My sig line used to "You may fire when ready, Gridley," the line Dewey spoke to the Olympia's commander at the Battle of Manila. I credited it to Commander Dewey of the Battlestar Olympia to his gunnery officer Gridley at the battle of Casmoro Archipeligo, where the Olympia was lost according to the technical manual...

But my current Sig revolves around a young player for the Pittsburgh Steelers football team. Antwaan Randel El was quarterback at the University of Indiana before being drafted by the Steelers. I have to wonder if his mother was influenced by George Lucas in picking his name with the 'Alderaan' like spelling. It's been a running joke between my friends and I that he has a name more appropriate for a Jedi Knight than a football player...

Flamingo Girl, Big BIG thumbs up on Galaxy Quest and Rickman!!! Favorties, both, By Grapthar's Hammer!!

Rowan and Excalibur, on the subject of Swords, let me recommend an ebay seller with the user name of 2310. I own a pair of their two-handed swords, and they are EXCELLENT. VERY high quality and the seller is truly a pleasure to do business with. An they're in Canada, too, Rowan. Right now they have a nice 17th century rapier up on ebay, among dozens of other things.

Regards, all,

G A