View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #30
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1c
I'll draw a parallel example, one you're probably familar with, Mustex. I love the original Dune books, and was very excited when word of Frank Herbert's outline to a 7th novel were going to be used to complete the series. Then came the prequels, then the Butlerian Jihad books, then who knows what. Compared to Frank Herbert, I think Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are as talented as two monkeys banging on a word processor with torque wrenches. All the richness and depth that was so precious to me in FH's work has been reduced to a second rate "Terminator" meets "I Robot" story. I can't really blame BH and KA for not apeing FH's style, it's just that the differences remind me of how much I savored the original, and in that respect remind me of what has been lost. It just kills me to see what they've done to a fantastic series. In this instance, I am just as mad as any TOS'r is about TNS. But I don't begrudge anyone who likes the new books. Just because I don't buy 'em and say they suck on the internet doesn't mean I think less of the people who do buy 'em. It's just differences in taste
I couldn't help but respond to this with my own opinion of what should have been done with the notes:

Brian Herbert: Take several years to at least get some sample of the depth worked up on book seven, and then a few more on book eight. Then you can CONSIDER the prequels.

Kevin J. Anderson: I'm glad to see working on Dune improved you, but your place is writing "Saga of the Seven Suns." You should drop all other projects. If you can make them that good in a year while sharing time with other projects, then if you give them you full attention they'll be masterpieces.

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote