View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Otherworld had enormous problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherworld_(TV_series)

First of all the concept sucked. What worked for Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1910 or the nitwits who brought us "Land of the Lost" doesn't work for a modern audience geared up for serious science fiction. Pyramid transportation to an alter Earth? Lost me at the gate and goes downhill from there.

Also I don't buy into a Rift Earth universe.

The technology was laughable and the artificial social constructs (called plot contrivance4) top drive story made no sense.

in a big way.
*AHEM*

The following used the same basic premise/concept/plot conciet:

STARGATE
STARGATE SG-1
STARGATE ATLANTIS
SLIDERS
FLASH GORDON*

(*) The sciffy atrocity.

There's more but I trust my point has been made that the concept not only did NOT suck but, with the right story forumulae, actually was quite the success. Granted Stargate refines the idea and gives us a lovely McGuffin to look at, the titular Stargate, and actually constructs plausible sounding fictional tech to explain it as travel via wormhole. But the entire point of OTHERWORLD was the family was just your average Joe's, thus such an explainationg wasn't really needs as they wouldn't know anyway.

Besides the point of the series was a slow reveal as the plot progressed over time. If all you've seen of this is the Sci-Fi re-airing YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS SERIES. Go to IMDB and look in the external reviews. Find the one titles "Mise-en-scene Crypt".

There's even a few screen caps.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote