View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #45
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Default Re: 01: Saga Of A Star World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
I just joined this board, but have been a fan of the show since before it aired.
After the disappointment and kick in groin that RDM's GINO was I sure am ready for a proper remake.
I read a few suggestions here about making SOASW into a 6 hour mini. I think a six hour mini would be great, but end it with the fleet leaving the colonies, make Carilon a whole separate arc.
I think that about 80-90% of the sets and props had a design that would look good if being made today. The Vipers and Raiders would only need minor tweaks to look convincing, and the battlestar model design was perfect the first time.
I think showing some things from the Cylon side would be very interesting and would help explain the story to the audience better. "Tora-Tora-Tora" spent a lot of time showing the Japanese side of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Even the cheezy "Starship Troopers"movie spent some time setting up the audience for the initial bug attack. SOSAW was just too rushed and the characters do seem one dimensional to people now days who have never seen it, and watch it for the first time.
Another thing is that the proud traditions of the colonial military need to be conveyed to the new viewer. To be a Warrior is an honor and Warriors are very respected in colonial society. Unfortunately it takes a few episodes of galactica to come to really understand that.
IF done properly a remake could be a big success, but if the wrong people get a hold of it, it could turned into something as bad as "Wing Commander"
Welcome!
I think that a 6 hour mini of SOASW would be a great idea.
I would also would like to see a movie version as well.
I was watching Saga of a Starworld last night and it's special effects have stood the test time, including the sets and the viper models.
As for the character being one dimensional I have to politely disagree with you on that. I think we got to know Starbuck, Apollo, Adama, Athena and Cassiopeia, Baltar and the other main characters rather well.
I remember the scene when Starbuck is confronted by Athena and Cassiopeia on Carillon. A classic!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote