View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #30
Bombadil

Wax on, wax off?

[No, I didn't say that. Strike that from the record. The jury will please disregard that statement. . .]

Thank you, Shiningstar (and welcome back!)
This kind of brings me back to my original reason for starting this thread. In the original Battlestar Galactica, faith was portrayed as an accepted component of everyday life. It wasn't a central plot point for any of the episodes until the Ship of Lights and Count Iblis showed up, but the idea of faith continually ran through the background. People referred to God unselfconsciously. I don't recall any specific instances of individual prayer, but it wouldn't feel out of character for Adama to pray, any more than it was out of character for George Washington to pray.
Today, people who pray are often considered a little bit weird, and faith is routinely attacked as being the exclusive domain of fools or hypocrites. Therefore people of faith are often afraid to say anything about their faith, for fear of being thought either foolish or rude. But it doesn't have to be that way, as this thread is demonstrating. The discussion has been civil (spirited at times, but entirely civil so far), and the comments have been positive. I hope this will continue. I enjoy discussion and (civil) debate, but I am also enjoying reading comments by people who aren't afraid to speak positively of their own faith.