View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2021, 04:31 PM   #25
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Virtual Season Update

I know what it feels like to get into a writing groove! Once you do, you just can't stop and it's great to keep riding the wave to completion.

Some things there isn't an established "canon" and you shouldn't feel bound by anything another author does with something. Cree for instance we never saw as more than a Cadet, so whatever rank he is now is kind of an open question based on how long is your story taking place after "Hand Of God?" Presumably he'd still be of enlisted rank, so he could be Corporal or Sergeant. I don't think personally he'd be an officer at this point because he probably wouldn't have had a chance to get that high up. OTOH, there's enough to suggest Jolly has been promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant over the course of the series.

I'd have to check on how precise enlisted ranks are since there could be variants of "Flight Sergeant", "Wing Sergeant" etc. that I've never seen locked down. In terms of officer rank, these are the only specific ones mentioned in the series.

Ensign
Lieutenant
Captain
Colonel
Commander

Apollo as "Strike Captain" might fall in the category of rank higher than anyone else who is "Captain". Hatch novels and fanfic have invented the rank of "Major" in between Captain and Colonel but that's an optional type of thing IMO.

I know there's a set of blueprints of the Galactica around somewhere that could answer your other question probably but I think my assumption was the Bridge was the top most deck and that at least one or two levels down would be Adama's quarters/office though I was only plucking that out of the air. It would have to be relatively close but I think from a basic security/safety precaution it would not be on the same deck level.

Hope that helps and happy writing!
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote