View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #17
Antelope

Default TOS - Season 2 / The Continuation

I have spent a lot of time thinking about "In Harm's Way" and the changes done to it in the mini to facilitate the series. As such I think Moore is a lot more familiar with TOS than he or his detractors let on or realize. I speculate that he saw all the TOS episodes and probably BSG1980 also. I don't think he wants to redo season 1 because we already know what happened and it would set him up to be hated (even more) in every episode. As such I think the characters at the end of the mini are based on where we stood at the end of TOS season 1 with an idea or two from BSG1980. As such I think we are getting TOS season 2 in the mind of Moore without any "baggage" from TOS season 1. Objectively think about these possibilities and remember a "character" is not a name or call sign:

Adama: At the end of season 1 commands the last Battlestar and the rag tag fleet WITH a council of 12 led by Siress Tinia (President Roslin). Siress Tinia (Roslin) gets under his skin at times but there may be a spark between the two.

Apollo: The only surviving son of Adama. Although he was estranged from his father at the start of the mini now he has a new found respect and will be the loyal strike leader son Adama at the end of TOS season 1 loved and could count on.

Apollo has a friend but possibly a budding love interest in an earlier arrogant but later tender top viper pilot named....Sheba. Kara Thrace has a callsign of Starbuck but her "character" is Sheba from the end of TOS season 1. Kara lost Zac just like Sheba lost Bojay. She will turn to Apollo this coming season as we all hoped at the end of TOS. Since we have no Serena we don't need a year of mourning for Apollo to find his new love.

The female most responsible for Boxey at the end of TOS season 1 was Athena. She was not a "viper" pilot but more of a CIC/intel type officer. The mini Boomer is filling her role. Athena started with a passionate relationship with Starbuck. At the end of the mini Boomer still had a passionate relationship with Tyrol.

The Boomer/Tyrol relationship could easily turn into a Starbuck/Athena/Cassiopeia love triangle. Cassie may be the mini Calley. At the end of TOS season 1 Cassie was a med tech, a regular member of the military crew. I think we will find the new "Cassie" there. I think the name Calley is more than a coincidence. Some people say Athena was getting relegated to cameo roles near the end of TOS season 1. If the new Boomer gets killed as a cylon I think we will see the expected evolution of Athena disappearing off the show.

Baltar was with the fleet but in jail at the end of TOS season 1. Putting him in jail would have made it nearly impossible to use his character so we start season 2 with this baggage removed so he has free run for now.

Boomer was an African American supporting character who was never drawn out in TOS series 1. He never had a love interest. He basically just did his job. In the mini we have a loyal support African American character, the woman who worked in CIC (forgot her name). We also see Moore start to give her a love interest (forgot his name---Roslin's sidekick). As such she is playing the "Boomer TOS character" but with a lot more promise for development.

Boomer's friend from TOS season 1 was Jolly, another loyal but support character who was never drawn out. In the Roslin sidekick we find the "Jolly" character. This time the relationship between "Boomer and Jolly" looks a bit more interesting.

Colonel Tigh was again a loyal workhorse with no deep story at the end of TOS 1. I think they will try to give us a deeper character this season.

Human cylons - One of the few interesting concepts to come out of BSG1980.

In conclusion: The "mini universe" season 1 is TOS season 2 character wise:

Adama = Adama
Tigh = Tigh
Siress Tinia = Roslin
Apollo = Apollo
Sheba = Starbuck
Athena = Boomer
Starbuck = Tyrol
Cassiopeia = Cally
Boomer = CIC African American woman (forgot name)
Jolly = Roslin sidekick (forgot his name)
Baltar = Baltar
Count Iblis = Cylon 6 (maybe)
CIC Ops officer (forgot his name) = CIC Ops officer (forgot his name)
Boxey = Boxey

We will probably get a remake of some of the best TOS 1 episodes like the Pegasus and Ice Planet episodes just for the ratings. I expect Commander Caine will return (Watch "Starbuck" be revealed as his daughter).

If you give a new series a chance I think you will find all your TOS "characters" are there pretty much as you left them at the end of season 1.

The character of "Serena" (I won't bet on the name) is not coming back because that character was dead by the end of season 1 and would cause problems writing for the "Apollo/Sheba" relationship.

What was the mini?
1. A remake of "In Harm's Way"
2. Less than 4 hours to bring the uninitated from Saga of a Star World to the characters at the end of TOS season 1.

Moore did neither perfect but a pretty good job accomplishing both missions in one movie.