View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #19
Jayworld
Warrior

Default McCord and the 80s...

I met with McCord at a local show here in Dallas several years ago, and spent almost 30 minutes with him discussing his career and Galactica 1980. He was very gracious and cordial, and really enjoyed talking about Galactica 1980, and the unfilmed episodes that he alluded to, such as going back to Egypt in time and tying in the Egypian motif to the uniforms, especially the viper helmets, was interesting. He said that the show would have been more "time-travel" in scope as the series progressed.

I remember when Galactica 1980 came out, I was thrilled that Galactica was "back" (certainly more Back than Richard Hatch's recent statement that it is back in the form of Gino ), but I quickly missed Dirk and Richard in parts that were obviously written for them as Starbuck and Apollo, but then re-written for McCord and Van Dyke....

You know, that reminds me, I need to get Barry and Robin for my Galactica autograph collection.... I have had some e-mail conversation with Robin; I believe her prices were $15 to $20, but I'd have to recheck that....

As for the 1980s, sure a lot of big events happened, but then, they do in every decade (70s had Watergate, gas lines, President Carter, etc., etc.) Good things happen every decade too, you know. I noticed in some amusement that Reagan's failed assassination by John Hinkley didn't make the list above....hmmmm

Hmmm, I too, graduated from high school in the mid-1980s and college in the late 1980s, and to this day, I still think that the 80s were the best decade of my life, so far. The television was far better, movies were generally better (Amadeus, Passage to India, Indiana Jones films, two of the Star Wars films, some of the better Star Trek films), and IMHO, the culture was better. Of course, that is my perspective, being a huge Ronald Reagan fan and very conservative in nature....

Hey, one of the best television series for me (thankfully being released on DVD) has been Magnum, P.I., and it ran from 1980-88, a product of the 80s, as was Simon and Simon.....

Jay
Jayworld is offline   Reply With Quote