View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2021, 10:44 PM   #50
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

I came across the first draft script version of this episode which was called "The Furlon" and noticed some interesting differences it it compared to the final version.

1-In the original episode, Athena and Sheba fly the shuttle that takes Apollo and Starbuck to the Rising Star and they also pilot the shuttle that takes them back. In the final episode this was changed so that it's Sheba and an unnamed female pilot who has just one line, "The Nomen did what?" (which was originally a line for Sheba) The fact they took away Athena's lines from this episode is a further insight into just how much Maren Jensen's role in the show was being diminished by this point.

2-Bojay was supposed to be in the episode too among those arriving on the Rising Star. Jack Stauffer I think later said he had another commitment and wasn't available after WOTG though there was always supposed to be an understanding he could come back later.

3-Also, the scene where Starbuck and Chameleon talk while the test is being given and Starbuck confesses that Cassie is the only woman he's considered getting sealed to is not present. And the scene where Chameleon tells Cassie she needs to lie about the test results being positive is very short and has none of the additional things that further underscore the fact that Starbuck and Cassie are more serious now (this may even explain why they felt they had to cut Athena out of the story entirely!). At any rate, I think this shows that the final draft of the script was much stronger than the earlier draft.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote