View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Thanks for the suggestiion Martok, but the whole point of this thread was to branch away from pacific BG fanfics and try to imagine ourselves storyboarding actual concepts for a movie of Galactica.

Thus in actual fact go beyond the mere fanfic ideas (athough taking a great idea from one and changing it so its more like a screenplay, isn't too bad a though to think about and discuss here?)

Think of the posters here as conceptual artists/writers, working in meetings to share various approaches to doing a movie based on Battlestar Galactica. But not with too much 'nostalgia' peppering our ideas or holding us back. Even for a continuation you couldn't have too much of the same elements from the classic TV show. A whole bunchof new concepts would have to be explored.

Ones DeSanto, Larson and Hatch didn't conceive or come up with.

And to make it very challenging for us as well i.e. the fanbase, ones we haven't touched upon either?! Sorry but sometimes we have to be cruel to ourselves and make it harder to thus more originality will hopefully emerge in the developmental stages.

Fanfiction is based on the workings of the original series. Surely a movie continuation would take the "blueprint" of the series and further it without too much baggage of the classic TV series making the movie out to be a 'homage', rather than a genuine continuation or brand new realised scope with tons of new ideas!

Time we had a different take is all, hope you all can see this from a more creative standpoint so more fresh stories can take shape. I'm not saying old storylines can't be used or brought up and revived for the big screen. But at this stage lets be honest, for any movie or TV series to survive it can't possibly go on the majority of older concepts used years ago by writers rushing out scripts to keep an expensive series on the air during the 78/79 ABC TV season alone?

"Wrath Of Khan" wasn't a rehash of the episode Space Seeds was it? All i'm saying is, find that precious "midddle ground" between fanfiction and fandom debates like this and actual writing for screenplays and try not to think fanfiction per se, and we'll get a different kind of professional storytelling. One that even the most harden studio executives would find impossible to question on a professional level and think major untapped talent for developing movies still exists out there.

Surely you can take that part of my arguement and say to yourself, hey he's right we "NEED" a new angle and could discuss a whole new approach to a possible BG movie outlined and discussed at great length without it seeming like fanfiction blatantly! Hence its term fanfiction, i.e. just for the fans.

Time we thought outside the box for a change and expanded a little?

KJ
Aye, believe me, I know precisely whereof ye' speak. The original series is only the foundation....but to go beyond it, to go think "big screen".

For the record, I wasn't really so much suggesting "hey, read my fanfic", as much as it was (perhaps I should've listed the specific chapters) "check out where I wrote the ground battle, and just see if the idea kinda merits where you were thinking."

But yes, the notion that all of us come together, put our heads together, think outside the constraints of the orignal series, and come up with something truly extraordinary on a mental/visual level is indeed intriguing.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Respectfully,
Martok2112