COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

"We", SAR, are the people who want to see a continuation movie. Some of us have taken the step of communicating with the people who would head up such a production to express our desire. You can, too, if you want to go to the effort of doing so; the addresses are available here.

Quote:
Exclusive of the BSG fans, TOS and RDM, will the casual viewer (read the majority of the movie-going public) want to go see a movie which requires a familiarity with a plot and characters that are 25 years old, older than a large portion of the viewing public? Yes, there are DVDs that people can view, but when the younger folks consider something only a few years old as too old to bother with, what then?
Here, my friend, you sound really patronizing, which I'm sure you didn't intend. I'm going to assume you don't really think I am really that dense. Mssrs. Larson and DeSanto certainly aren't.

No movie is going to just dump you into a universe with established characters and storyline (unless there is at least one prior movie set in the same universe). There would be a period at the beginning where the storyline is established, including enough of the "back story" to bring the viewer pretty much up to speed. This is basic to storytelling, SAR - do you tell your kids the Hansel and Gretel story beginning at the point they are caged by the witch?

Quote:
I think it is safe to say, and anybody out there please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, that almost all of the mini fans here are also fans of TOS. As such, we don't want to see anything fade into the past with a fizzle.
Consider yourself corrected. Yes, there are a few TOS fans who enjoyed the mini. But, if you read most of the posts from the most vocal of the "mini fans", you'll see that they tend to demean TOS ("campy", "out-dated", other generally negative comments) and call the mini a "fresh start" and "much better" than TOS. I do not count them as fans of TOS, protests to the contrary notwithstanding. I think most of the genuine TOS fans who also enjoyed the mini did so viewing the mini as a separate production, not as "Battlestar Galactica."

I hope you're not offended by that. I still have a very hard time reconciling the idea that a "real fan" of TOS BSG could even remotely consider the mini as BSG. That's just me, though; perhaps a failing on my part....

The balance of your words I tend to agree with, for the most part; it is now down to the suits to make the choices that will garner them the most profit. The influence we, as fans, might have is limited to the volume of letters, the attendance at cons, and all the other intangibles we really don't have control over. We do need to continue to voice our support to TPTB for more BSG (preferably the right one.... )

(BTW, well said, Peter. I agree 100%!)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol