Thread: 2 0 1 2
View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: 2 0 1 2

Sorry but, I can't seem to reconcile your discontent with today's offerings and your appreciation of previous disaster flicks like "The Poseidon Adventure", "Towering Inferno", "Earthquake", etc. Although most of the Irwin Allen '70's era disaster flicks involved all-star casts, many with actors and actresses whom we like, they are by no means "high-brow". Of the 3 that I listed above, only the Poseidon Adventure offered any real depth of character and heartfelt emotion, in my opinion, and those involved the scenes where Reverend Scott sacrificed himself and Belle succumbed to a heart attack.

In this film, 2012, much of what we call "civilization" was destroyed. I also recall a story from a long time ago which, involved a tremendous loss of life and civilization. It occurred after 40 days and nights of rain.

Then and now, civilization is being given a second chance.

Regarding 9/11, Eric, I share your interpretation of the events. I was talking to customers in Manhattan during the crashes into the towers. I listened to their anguish, their tears, their fear... I offered what consolation that I could but, I mainly listened. In addition, Flight 93 flew over my head that morning before being brought down (or shot down as some conspiracy theorists claim) about an hour away from Pittsburgh, in Shanksville, PA. I remember trying to find the words to explain the events to my 11-year old daughter. I remember my feelings when we visited the crash site and viewed the cratered field that is now the final resting place for the passengers of Flight 93.

Those are memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. To me, though, those memories should be used to do things which would honor those who fell that day and not as an excuse for disliking something.

You mentioned "Independence Day" as a film that sensationalized the terrible 9/11 attacks. I can't disagree more. Do you remember the scene where Mr. Case flies his jet directly into the alien's primary weapon, sacrificing himself? Is that any different than Todd Beamer and the other 42 passengers of Flight 93 who brought down the plane?
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote