View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Mike Wright

I kinda think the dude looks like a cheap Reman outfit, but thats just me.

I'm reserving judgment for next season, simply because, there just wasn't enough in those last few minutes to explain what the hell was going on. I agree with Mike from TGL, This one had all the shock factor of Best of Both Worlds Pt 1, but instead of saying "Man, how are they gonna get through this?" we're left with "Man, what the f*ck was that all about?"

It seems to me like these guys are really getting desperate. The Voyager episode hadn't even popped into my mind, it was "City on the Edge of Forever" from TOS that I was thinking of... Plus probably two other TOS episodes, and most initially I thought of that DS9 Episode where Sisko and Bashir get transported to that worker camp. These, I thought, were all very good episodes, so theres the light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand, I hadn't even thought of that Voyager two-parter. That sucked.

What gets me is the P-51 Mustangs. If it had been one of the german fighters (I can't spell mess-er-schmidt... sorry... *lol*) then that would have made sense. Archer was transported back in time, and the Germans won the war. (Of course that would be a direct ripoff of CoteoF) But Mustangs? Don't get me wrong, I love that plane. Coolest one in WWII, next to the P-40, the P-38 and the B-17. But the fact is, WWII drove invention for the entire world. It didn't just magically produce the A-Bomb as a result of it. Research started well before the war, and both Germany and the US raced to get it finished during the war. What killed Germany in that regard was Heisenberg, the one who pioneered the research. He was stubborn, and thought the uranium mass should have been much higher than it actually needed to be to create an atomic explosion. (Ironically, two of his students who defected to the US discovered this) Anyway, thats not why the Nazi's failed to win the war, but its why they failed to make the atom bomb...

Anyway, my point was, why P=51s 220 years later? For the US to have them by then, you're ignoring more than 200 years of invention... Jet propulsion, ironically invented during WWII... Man, just a lot of things. Thats like saying Man stopped inventing stuff. It just doesn't make sense. Unless there was some catastrophe that took us that long to overcome, and at that point in time we just recovered P-51s and were using them. But that doesn't make any sense either, those planes looked brand spanking new.

Which brings up the possiblity that maybe Enterprise is now also 200 years in the past. Now that would make some sense, but when would the shift have taken place? Two options.... Either it happened en route to Earth, which means the Aquatic ship is also 200 years in the past, or Daniels did it... The later makes more sense I think, there never seems to be any special effects when he transports people around time.

At any rate... Like I said, we'll see next season. All I can say is, rid the show of Braga once and for all, and maybe the show will get better.