View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #44
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica / Planet of the Apes Crossover - Discussion Thread

Appreciate again the kind feedback, Jayworld.

No sequel will be forthcoming because long ago I realized that to do one justice without ultimately diminishing the magnitude of the original, it would have be a sweeping tale just as long as the original and there just isn't any concept I can think of that could interest me there. There was an excitement to writing this story since I had the luxury of rebuilding the flawed POTA universe from the ground up which was the really fun part of the whole thing which was why I let myself take so much time and caused the whole thing to expand like crazy. I have never written a single story even one half the length this one turned out to be. Probably if I'd been doing a series of short stories at the time, it would have been easier to carry the momentum.

I do recognize that there are interesting possibilities one can envision, but sometimes the beauty of a story can be letting the mind just envision those things (provided you haven't cheated the reader with a cliffhanger before and your main story has a "clean" ending).

Plus, I'll admit there's the time element. This story took up three years of my life when I was a third younger than I am now and I couldn't begin to imagine how much time trying something similar when the incentive factor isn't there to the same degree.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote