View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #18
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
This makes me laugh.

<invective edited>

Suggesting that "country music" was "Invented" by decendants of Africa rather than the Scotch/Irish is absurd.

Get your facts straight.
The only instrument on Earth similar to the banjo is an instrument from Africa. They also had a kind of fiddle. When they were brought over here, any slaves who could use the fiddle were taught the violen (similar principle). While they were play violen music at their masters' parties, they invented their own style of fiddling that they played around the slave cabins (the violinists hated it). They also built banjos.

After slavery ended, many of them headed into the mountains. The hillbillies hadn't kept slaves anyway, and so they were especially rascist, and they considered music to be a matter of taste rather than race. They quickly found that they had quite a taste for this new "black" music, and picked it up. Then, decades later, some record producers came to record moutain music. They didn't even look at the blacks, who they assumed would play something different than the whites (and I guess they assumed it would be crappy). So they recorded white hillbillies playing music they learned from blacks.

I learned this on the CMT documentary Waiting in the Wings, so argue with them if you disagree.

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote