View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #60
WarMachine
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Eyed Earl
I just used that extreme to illustrate that though I don't believe in those theories, they still make good stories.

Really, it's several theories (to me):

1. Visitation in ancient times influenced our ancestors.
2. Aliens created man
3. Man came form space

1 is certainly possible. But we do know how the pyramids were built.
2 is worth thinking about, provided the theoretical circumstances work.
3 is just plain wacky.
BEE,

Sorry, but I have to call you on #1 & #3.

Let me say, flat out, that I have no idea how the Great Pyramid was built -- but I can certainly tell you how it wasn't built; nobody drags c.60-ton granite slabs up an uncompacted incline, making 90° turns, to slide it into place at a reverse 45° angle...

While that's certainly not the only argument(they're really too numerous to list here), I'll give you one more:

It is estimated that there are approximately 2.5 million individual blocks of stone within the Great Pyramid; it is also estimated that it took about 30 years to build; being as I'm a very nice guy, I'll give the Egyptians an extra 10 years.

2.5 million blocks divided by 40 years equals 62,500 blocks placed, per year...or, 171.23 blocks per day or 7.13 blocks per hour, assuming a 24 hour work period. Note that this allows for no off-days for religious festivals, accidents, bad weather, etc....

Which is why your garden-variety Egyptologists react with such venom when people ask simple questions that their theories ignore.

As regards #3, if you have a truly catastrophic event occur on Earth, there may be no other refuge except space...any survivors would necessarily "come from space"....