View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2004, 09:27 AM   #8
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I get you about the coarsening of our disposable society.

My take on things is a bit different.I think the threshold of social acceptance of deviant behavior has slid down a few pegs,but the ugliness it exposes has been here all along.

One question for debate,paraphrasing a libertarian radio talk show host I heard some years ago.
He opined about sex and violence on tv,and watching such with his kid.He questioned why the outrage about sex scenes,but relatively less about gratuitous violence.He explained that he hopes his child will grow up to enjoy sex,but hopes he never commits a violent crime.He asks about a minor child viewing sex acts on tv,and asks "what is the harm?"
But recognizes that the violence is a thing that requires an adult explaination that the behavior is unacceptable.

Many discussions of the sex scenes seem to say that there is merit in "leaving it to imagination" not depicting explicit behavior,and leaving adults and mature adolescents to understand what is going on off the screen.
The cry against the baby scene does not follow this thinking,as the gore is off screen,but we know what happened.I imagine that there are some so sensitive in their sexual mores that even the suggestive sex scenes are offensive to them.

Well,enough on this,I'll wait for a little feedback.