View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

But in this context, plotting out Baltar's character development over the course of the season requires asking whether in Baltar's own mind, the offer was genuine or not, and I think on that basis I would say yes, though it's not for reasons of remorse but for looking out for himself at this point. At this stage he has to be more angry with the Cylons for doublecrossing him, and his first instinct would be to try and do something aimed at getting back at them first.

But the events of LPOTG sees everything Baltar had planned on go completely wrong, and this has to fuel him with an extra level of hatred aimed at Adama, Apollo and Starbuck. Just why for instance in "Baltar's Escape" would Baltar say, "Too bad it's not Apollo and Starbuck, I can settle all my debts." Exactly why would Baltar be more fixated with them? The answer is, the events of LPOTG. Starbuck was part of the key to his whole plan when he took him prisoner and released him, and Apollo he could hate for not having spoken up in favor of Baltar's offer more forcefully (remember, Apollo at first hesitated, saying, "What if he can prove what he says?").

None of this means Apollo and Adama should be faulted for rejecting the offer, it just means that if we're to understand Baltar's actions and motives better over the course of the series episodes, this point about the offer being genuine (in his mind) I think needs to be clearly established.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote